Beet kvass is a probiotic tonic made by culturing beets in a slightly salty brine for a few days and up to a week. Its flavor tastes similar to beet juice – earthy, sour, and slightly salty.
Authored by: Mona Eberle Naturopathic Practitioner, Nutritional Therapist, Neurofeedback Clinician
• 1/2 gallon clean water and a large glass jug with a tight-fitting lid
• 2 organic beets with skin, cut up
• 1 Tbsp. of Celtic sea salt (salt takes care of pathogenic bacteria, but not the good bacteria)
• Flavoring: a couple of slices of orange, lemon, or lime with skin, a few cabbage pieces, ginger, allspice
• Optional: fermenting starter